Styx: Master of Shadows
- Intriguing storyline and well-crafted characters, engaging players in a thrilling adventure.
- Dynamic and challenging stealth system, allowing for multiple playstyles and tactical approaches.
- Deep RPG elements with skill upgrades and equipment enhancements, offering character progression.
- Visually impressive graphics and atmospheric level design, immersing players in the dark fantasy world.
- Vast array of unique opponents, each with distinct strengths and weaknesses, adding to the game's depth.
Styx: Master of Shadows, developed and published by Cyanide Studio and Focus Home Interactive, is a thrilling stealth-action game with RPG elements set in a captivating dark fantasy universe. Released in 2014, the game serves as a prequel to Of Orcs and Men and follows the story of Styx, the very first and oldest goblin in existence.
- Developer: Cyanide Studio
- Publisher: Focus Home Interactive
- Release Date: October 2014
- Platforms: PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One
- Official website: https://www.styx-thegame.com/
- Genre: Stealth-Action, RPG
In Styx: Master of Shadows, players take on the role of the cunning goblin, Styx, who embarks on a perilous journey in the forgotten Akenash Tower. This tower is guarded by both Men and Elves, protecting the enigmatic World Tree, which holds the secrets of the Goblin race’s creation. Seeking answers about his origins and an opportunity for profit amidst a political war between Humans and Elves, Styx sets out to infiltrate the tower and uncover the truth.
Master of Shadows centers around navigating the Akenash Tower, divided into distinct locations, and accomplishing assigned tasks. The game heavily relies on stealth mechanics, requiring players to perform stealthy kills, gather intelligence, solve puzzles, and more. The RPG system allows for the acquisition of new skills and special moves, such as invisibility, “amber vision,” and the ability to clone oneself using Amber, an essential resource. Players are encouraged to explore the levels thoroughly, uncovering more about Styx’s past, looting treasures, and upgrading equipment for enhanced abilities.
The stealth system is the core feature of Styx: Master of Shadows, and it shines with its intricate level design. Each location offers numerous paths and detours, allowing players to approach levels in various ways. The game emphasizes player choice, enabling them to patiently wait in shadows for opportune moments or silently eliminate obstacles in their path. The vast array of viable strategies adds significant replayability to the game, enticing players to experiment with different playstyles.
Graphics and Level Design: Styx: Master of Shadows boasts impressive graphics for its time, featuring detailed textures and beautifully crafted environments. The game excels in creating a dark and atmospheric setting, immersing players in its captivating world. Shadows and shaders are utilized effectively to enhance the visual experience. Players can explore caches in each level to find useful items, and guards exhibit believable behaviors, communicating with each other and bringing life to the surroundings.
Throughout the journey, Styx encounters a diverse array of formidable adversaries, including both humans and elves. As the focus lies on stealth, enemies possess keen awareness, sharp eyesight, and acute hearing, making detection a constant threat. The game challenges players to think critically, choose the most optimal solutions, and avoid rushing through encounters. As players progress, they encounter progressively stronger foes, some requiring special skills or environmental elements for defeat.
Styx: Master of Shadows stands as an exceptional entry in the rare stealth-action genre, captivating players with its engrossing narrative, intricate stealth mechanics, and well-designed characters. It is a commendable addition to the ranks of stealth games and will undoubtedly appeal to fans of titles like Thief, Of Orcs and Men, and Dishonored.
Styx: Master of Shadows System Requirements
- Memory: 3072 MB RAM
- Graphics Card: 1024 MB 100% DIRECTX 9 AND SHADERS 4.0 COMPATIBLE AMD RADEON HD 5850/NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 OR HIGHER
- CPU: AMD/INTEL DUAL-CORE 2.4 GHZ
- File Size: 8 GB available space
- OS: WINDOWS VISTA SP2/WINDOWS 7/WINDOWS 8