Werewolf: The Apocalypse
- The intriguing universe of World of Darkness provides a rich narrative backdrop.
- The unique character transformation mechanic adds depth to gameplay.
- A well-balanced mix of action, stealth, and role-playing elements.
- The combat system is dynamic, offering a good blend of strategy and action.
- The linear storyline may lack appeal for players seeking a more open-world experience.
- The game's focus on stealth might not cater to players who prefer straightforward action.
Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood, developed by Cyanide Studio, has emerged as a distinctive and compelling entry in the action RPG genre. Adapted from the iconic board game ‘Werewolf’ and set in the World of Darkness universe, the game offers a thrilling mix of combat, adventure, and mysticism.
- Developer: Cyanide Studio
- Publisher: Nacon
- Release Date: February 4, 2021
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S
- Genre: Action role-playing
- Official Website: https://store.steampowered.com/app/679110/Werewolf_The_Apocalypse__Earthblood/
Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood enthralls players with its enthralling premise revolving around the ferocious Garou named Cahal, a guardian of Mother Earth, Gaia. Tasked with the formidable mission to prevent Gaia’s destruction, players must navigate the fragile balance of their character’s inner rage, a perilous force that has once led to disastrous consequences.
The game dives deep into the lore of the World of Darkness, where werewolves stand as the vanguards of nature’s equilibrium, embroiled in an eternal conflict with vampires. The narrative’s antagonist, the oil corporation Endron International owned by the vampire-dominated Pentex Corporation, presents an insidious threat to the protagonist and the world.
Cahal, the player’s character, can transform into three forms: human, wolf, and werewolf, each providing unique gameplay mechanics. The human form is crucial for interaction and communication, the wolf form excels in tracking and hunting, while the werewolf form offers formidable combat abilities.
The combat system in Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood is a dynamic blend of agility and brute strength. Depending on the chosen stance, Cahal can prioritize swift movements and attacks or focus on resilience and power. Throughout the fight, players build up a ‘Rage’ meter, unlocking a special mode that enhances Cahal’s speed and power but prevents healing and blocking.
The ‘Frenzy’ mechanic introduces another layer of depth to the combat. While it empowers Cahal’s attacks, it simultaneously nullifies his block and health regeneration capabilities, adding an element of risk and reward to combat encounters.
Cyanide Studio has taken a considerable effort to balance the core gameplay elements of action, stealth, and role-playing, keeping the players engaged throughout. The gameplay cycle involves infiltrating enemy territory, eliminating high-value targets, and engaging in combat when discovered.
Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood brings an exciting blend of action, role-playing, and stealth elements to players, wrapped up in the engrossing lore of the World of Darkness universe. While it might have a few limitations, the game delivers a unique, enjoyable experience, particularly for fans of the genre and those seeking a game with an environmental twist in its narrative. Whether you’re meticulously planning your approach or indulging in the beast within, Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood offers a wild ride.