Within the realm of MMORPGs, a myriad of games exist that attempt to blend survival and role-playing in a sandbox environment. “Tree of Life” by Korean developer OddOneGames is one such title, navigating this interwoven genre.
- Developer: OddOneGames
- Publisher: OddOneGames
- Release Date: 2017
- Platforms: Windows
- Official website: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1149450/Tree_of_Life_Oddria/
- Genre: Survival Sandbox MMORPG
Upon entering “Tree of Life”, players are presented with a standard character creation suite. Choices encompass name, hairstyle, skin tone, eye color, and factional alignment:
- Bastards of Freedom: Ex-prisoners who have found freedom and seek redemption.
- The Knights of Roses: Knights on a quest to find a remedy for their ailing Princess Audrey.
- The Adventure Company: Adventurers with a primary aim of accruing wealth.
Despite inherent differences, these factions can still interact, which might lead to both alliances and conflicts.
A tutorial offers foundational insights for newcomers, detailing the game’s essential mechanics. Starting on an unfamiliar shore, immediate objectives center around crafting essentials and preparing for night-time – when the environment turns notably hostile.
Base-building becomes a central component as the game progresses, with players moving from makeshift tents to more fortified structures. The necessity to manage four metrics – Hunger, Stamina, Health, and Soul – adds layers to the survival aspect.
Though it’s feasible to venture solo, the game seems to lean towards cooperative gameplay. Forming alliances or joining communities can be beneficial, especially considering the PvP system, which discourages unrestrained player aggression through penalties.
Instead of traditional classes, “Tree of Life” introduces a mastery system. As players engage in specific activities, related abilities can be developed:
- Combat-related Masteries: Skills to bolster combat techniques.
- Crafting-related Masteries: Abilities that facilitate item creation and enhancement.
- Gathering-related Masteries: Skills focused on efficient resource accumulation.
There are also miscellaneous abilities, such as Lockpicking and Musical Instruments, which provide varied gameplay experiences.
The game employs graphics that aim for an equilibrium between charm and realism. Features such as the day-night transition and diverse biomes contribute to the game’s ambiance.
“Tree of Life” endeavours to merge MMORPG elements with survival mechanics. It offers a spectrum of experiences, with opportunities for both collaboration and competition, wrapped in an expansive mastery system.
Tree of Life System Requirements
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics Card: 512MB Video Memory
- CPU: Core 2 Duo
- File Size: 5 GB
- OS: Windows 7 (64bit)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics Card: 1GB Video Memory
- CPU: Core i3
- File Size: 10 GB
- OS: Windows 7 or later (64bit)