- Unique third-person perspective offers a refreshing twist to the MOBA genre.
- A diverse roster of over 100 characters, each with unique abilities and play styles.
- Multiple game modes cater to different play styles and strategic preferences.
- High-quality graphics and art style effectively capture the grandeur of ancient mythologies.
- Constant updates, new gods, and balanced gameplay keep the game fresh and competitive.
- Steep learning curve for newcomers due to the variety of gods and their unique abilities.
- Some players may find the third-person perspective disorienting.
SMITE, developed by Titan Forge Games, offers a unique twist to the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) genre. With its unique third-person perspective and fantasy celestial setting, the game allows players to assume the role of mythological deities from various ancient cultures. The game has made a name for itself in the highly competitive world of MOBAs due to its unique gameplay features and diverse character roster.
- Game developer: Titan Forge Games, Hi-Rez Studios
- Game publisher: Hi-Rez Studios
- Release Date: March 25, 2014
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
- Official website: Official site
- Genre: Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA)
At its core, SMITE retains the familiar elements of the MOBA genre: two opposing teams vie for control of a battlefield dotted with defensive structures and AI-controlled minions. However, SMITE sets itself apart with its unique third-person perspective, offering a ground-level view of the action that puts players right into the thick of battle.
The game boasts over a hundred playable characters, all inspired by gods and mythical figures from a variety of cultures, including Greek, Norse, Egyptian, and Hindu mythology. Each god has their unique abilities and playing style, allowing for a wealth of strategic options and team compositions.
The SMITE battlefield is a tri-lane arena, reminiscent of classic MOBAs, complete with jungle areas filled with neutral monsters. However, these standard features are augmented with unique elements such as destructible environments and periodic boss spawns, providing additional strategic depth and dynamic gameplay.
SMITE also offers a variety of game modes to cater to different playstyles. Besides the standard Conquest mode, there are options for smaller team sizes (Joust), single lane battles (Assault), a casual, fast-paced mode (Arena), and more. Each mode offers a different strategic challenge and requires different tactics to win.
Graphically, SMITE is a feast for the eyes. The game’s art direction effectively captures the grandeur of ancient mythologies. Each map is meticulously crafted with vivid details, while the character designs are true to their mythological origins while also boasting a unique, modern twist.
SMITE manages to carve a unique space for itself in the crowded MOBA landscape. Its distinct third-person perspective, coupled with a rich and diverse cast of characters inspired by global mythologies, provides an immersive, action-packed gaming experience. Whether you’re a seasoned MOBA veteran looking for a new challenge or a newcomer intrigued by the blending of ancient mythology and modern gaming, SMITE has something to offer. However, its steep learning curve and issues with matchmaking and balance may turn off some players. Nonetheless, for those willing to master its nuances, SMITE offers a rewarding and strategic MOBA experience.
SMITE System Requirements
- Memory: 4 GB
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
- CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
- File Size: 30 GB
- OS: Windows 7 (64-bit)
- Memory: 6 GB RAM
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 or higher
- CPU: Intel Core i5 2.8 GHz or better
- File Size: 30 GB available space
- OS: Windows 8/10 (64-bit)