Heroes of the Storm
- Combines characters from four major Blizzard franchises, providing variety and nostalgia.
- Unique map objectives add a new strategic dimension to the MOBA genre.
- Polished graphics and visually distinct maps.
- Approachable for beginners while offering depth for experienced players.
- Free-to-play model with a focus on player skill over purchased upgrades.
- Heroes need to be purchased or earned, limiting early-game diversity.
- Matchmaking can be uneven, sometimes leading to imbalanced teams.
- While regular updates occur, the pace of new content can be slow.
Blizzard Entertainment, a name synonymous with enduring franchises such as World of Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft, and Overwatch, puts its signature touch on the MOBA genre with Heroes of the Storm. This free-to-play online hero brawler boasts a rich assortment of characters from these franchises, leading to dynamic, action-packed matches that both delight fans and challenge MOBA veterans.
- Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
- Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
- Release Date: 2015
- Platforms: Windows, MacOS
- Official Website: https://heroesofthestorm.blizzard.com/en-us/
- Genre: Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA)
Heroes of the Storm (HotS) shakes up the conventional MOBA formula by combining the essence of Blizzard’s iconic universes and implementing unique gameplay mechanics. Each match sees teams of five players battling to annihilate the enemy’s stronghold. Along the journey are formidable defense lines, forts, and fountains, each fortified with unique defensive capabilities.
HotS’s maps, brimming with rich details and strategic depth, stand out for their unique gameplay features. Unlike other MOBAs where map objectives often feel like afterthoughts, here they’re central to victory. Periodic tasks that offer significant advantages to teams add a layer of strategy and urgency to each match.
The game employs AI-controlled creeps that periodically spawn from your base and follow predetermined paths, clashing in the middle. As your team levels up and destroys enemy forts, your creeps become stronger, pushing the line of battle closer to the enemy’s stronghold.
HotS heroes have an intriguing mix of passive and active abilities. While passive abilities continuously operate, active ones need player activation and can instantly change the tide of a battle. Support characters play a crucial role, replenishing the resources like health and mana that are vital to sustaining heroes on the battlefield.
Visually, HotS does not disappoint. The graphics are vivid and detailed, with each map offering a distinct visual palette that aligns with the franchise it represents. The diverse range of heroes is rendered beautifully, each capturing the unique aesthetics of their respective games.
In a genre dominated by heavyweights like Dota 2 and League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm carves out its niche by blending iconic characters from beloved Blizzard franchises with unique gameplay mechanics. It’s an entertaining, accessible MOBA that offers deep strategic depth for those willing to delve into it.
Heroes of the Storm System Requirements
- Memory: 3 GB
- Graphics Card: GeForce 8600 GT or equal
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 / AMD Phenom X4
- File Size: 20 GB
- OS: Windows (64-bit) 7 / 8 / 10
- Memory: 4 GB
- Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 650 or better
- CPU: Intel Core i5 / AMD FX Series
- File Size: 20 GB
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit